Saturday, June 9, 2012

Streetbooth Challenge

Just been around KL, Malaysia for just 5 days and now we have the first challenge -  StreetBooth! :D

Reading from previous intern's blogs somehow gave me a view of what to expect in this challenge but, like what they say, it's really different when you are already on the spot. I was really nervous to approach people waiting at the bus station under Universiti Stesen.

My first encounter was a rejection. But I didn't back down. I braced myself once more and approach another person. This time, I was happy because the next few people I approached were responsive. I opened saying, "Hi! I'm a volunteer from Universiti of Malaya (UM) under AIESEC and I would like to share to you information about HIV/AIDS. Are you ok with that?". And of course, approach them with a SMILE! :D

When they have given their permission already that I can share with them, I made it more interactive. How? Example, if they know what's the difference between HIV and AIDS; if they know how HIV is transmitted to them; how can one prevent oneself from acquiring, etc. This method was helpful in gauging if they are able to remember and comprehend the information. I am surprised by the open reception most people had about this topic and their patience when listening even if it means missing their bus.

So, after approaching more people, I find that this experience was more pleasant and fun than expected. The people were really kind and it was very interesting listening to their stories also. The advantage of conducting StreetBooth near the Universiti is the familiarity people have with UM and the credibility it brings. To our surprise some people were quite knowledgeable of the subject but there is still a significant population that are lacking the basic knowledge about HIV and AIDS. It was a rewarding experience as we able to promote such an important message to the public. Even though it's a small part of the population but it is a start! :D

- Nelson (intern from Canada) and Natalie (intern from the Philippines)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...